GIVE&FUND

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook Image

Weather in ..

Home Region
Error
  • JFTP::login: Unable to login
  • JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode
  • JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode
  • JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode
  • JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode
  • JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode
  • JFTP::write: Unable to use passive mode

Prosotsani is the city seat of the municipality that shares the same name. The city is located to the south-west of the city of Drama. It is comprised of 20 separate villages. Its population is around 4,000 people, and is a colorful mixture of native Greeks, Greeks from Asia Minor, and the Black Sea region that had come and settled there in 1923. The ex-nomad Greeks (Vlahi and Saraktsani) as well as Greeks from other areas had settled in the region during the booming tobacco era.

Prostosani was built on the fertile plain next to the river Aggitis Prosotsanis and has been inhabited since prehistoric years. It became more popular during the Hellenistic and Roman years, when the land in the area was given to the Roman veterans as a reward after the battle of Phillippi.

The significant monuments in the area include an early Christian Church (only the foundation is remaining) that is 2 kilometers south of the city, as well as the Church of Saint Panteleimonas, which is 2.5 kilometers west of the city, having been built in the late Byzantine time period.

The city and surrounding area of Prosotsani experienced unprecedented economic growth thanks to the growth and cultivation of high quality tobacco. The growth of the area (Prosotsani basibagli) was not only economic, but cultural growth as well, since people from the surrounding areas came to work and live.

Thanks to the population increase, the region had developed an intense intellectual activity, which gave way to the construction of schools, and clubs, as well as music theaters.

Locals also took part in the Macedonian Struggle (1870-1913) and suffered the consequences of all three of the Bulgarian invasions that occurred between 1912 and 1944.

The city is still full of activity, it has its own Climbing Society, cycling, football and handball teams, as well as a festival in July for the Prophet Helias and Zoodochos Pigi (the first Friday after Easter), a river party at Angitis, and a variety of events that are organized by several local folk societies.

 

For more information visit: www.prosotsani.gr